ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH

ENFIELD, CT                                       860-745-5616

Saint Martha Parish

Parish History

St. Martha Church 
Established 1961
1400 households

St. Martha, Enfield, was established by Archbishop Henry J. O'Brien in September 1961. Appointed founding pastor, Father John B. O'Connell offered the first parish Mass at the Knights of Columbus Hall on September 24. St. Martha was a parish with an initially large congregation and a 20-acre tract on Brainard Road, purchased earlier by the chancery. The pastor later secured 20 additional acres contiguous with the first parcel.


When an early parish census revealed the presence of many young families, the congregation opted to build a school and use its auditorium as a temporary church. On December 15, 1962, Father Thomas Dwyer of nearby St. Philip Church, Warehouse Point, delivered an address on the occasion of groundbreaking for the new St. Martha complex. The first parish Mass in the auditorium-style church was held on August 4, 1963. Archbishop O'Brien dedicated St. Martha Church and School on September 22 of that year.